- Domain forest functional level must be 2003 or higher
- For Password Writeback your domain controllers must running 2008 with the latest service pack.
- For Password synchronization domain controllers must be running 2008 R2 with the latest service pack.
- Azure AD Connect must be installed on a server running 2008 or later. This can be a domain controller or a member server if you are using express settings. If you use advanced settings, the server can be stand-alone with the exception of using SBS or Windows Server Essentials.
- If Azure AD Connect is installed on 2008, ensure all of the latest hotfixes are installed from windows update. The installation will not start with an unpatched server.
- If ADFS is deployed the server running ADFS must be Server 2012 R2 or later with WinRM enabled.
- If ADFS is being deployed an SSL certificate is required.
The table below shows the minimum requirements for the Azure AD Connect sync computer.
|Number of objects in Active Directory||CPU||Memory||Hard drive size|
|Fewer than 10,000||1.6 GHz||4 GB||70 GB|
|10,00050,000||1.6 GHz||4 GB||70 GB|
|50,000100,000||1.6 GHz||16 GB||100 GB|
|For 100,000 or more objects the full version of SQL Server is required|
|100,000300,000||1.6 GHz||32 GB||300 GB|
|300,000600,000||1.6 GHz||32 GB||450 GB|
|More than 600,000||1.6 GHz||32 GB||500 GB|
The minimum requirements for computers running AD FS or Web Application Servers is the following:
- CPU: Dual core 1.6 GHz or higher
- MEMORY: 2GB or higher
- Azure VM: A2 configuration or higher
See the officical Microsoft prerequisirtes| https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/active-directory-aadconnect-prerequisites/
- The Azure AD Connect server must have .NET Framework 4.5.1 or later and Microsoft PowerShell 3.0 or later installed.
If you use a separate SQL Server, then these requirements apply:
- Azure AD Connect supports all flavors of Microsoft SQL Server from SQL Server 2008 (with SP4) to SQL Server 2014. Microsoft Azure SQL Database is not supported as a database.
- You must use a case-insensitive SQL collation. These are identified with a _CI_ in their name. It is not supported to use a case-sensitive collation, identified by _CS_ in their name.
- You can only have one sync engine per database instance. It is not supported to share the database instance with FIM/MIM Sync, DirSync, or Azure AD Sync.
Follow this link for installation guides: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/active-directory-aadconnect-get-started-custom/