Backup the data:
The most secure way to move the data is to create a PICS backup and then restore the backup once PICS is installed on the new server. To create a backup, please follow these instructions...
From the PICS logon screen, go to the Tools menu and select Backup Database (Data Only).
When the backup screen appears, click on Start.
When prompted, save the file to a network share that is accessible to both servers.
Transferring via removable media is also possible at this point.
Copy miscellaneous files:
It’s possible that staff have saved various reports and files into the PICS Software or Data folders. In particular you should look for any files in the Software folder which start ‘ILP_’ or end with a .ahl extension. Any such files need to be copied and moved over to the new Software folder once it’s been created.
If you have the optional Scheduled Reporting module then you will need to make a copy of the SchedRepData sub-folder which is also in the Software folder.
In addition to these standard PICS files, staff may well have saved general reports and documents so it’s best to check with them or look out for large numbers of Office documents which may require moving.
Install PICS Software on the new server:
Download the latest copy of PICS from the following link:
Create a folder on the server called 'Pellcomp' and within there a folder called 'Software'.
Install the software on the server in the new 'Software' folder.
Once installed you will be prompted for the data path. Leave it there for now and go to the ‘Move the data’ section below.
Move the data:
Create another new folder in the 'Pellcomp' folder called 'Data'.
Set the folder permissions so that all users and the System account have Full Control.
Copy the backup from the network drive to the new 'Data' folder.
Restore the data:
Go back to the PICS screen and click on the Browse button.
Navigate to the Data folder we created earlier and click Select. Please note that the address used here needs to be an address that means the same to the client computers, so either a UNC path or a common mapped network drive.
When warned that no database exists, click on Accept.
Click the Restore button and then click on the folder icon (3 dots).
Find the backup file in the DATA folder and click on Open.
Click on Restore.
Confirm the details on screen and then click Yes.
The database will now restore.
Please follow the instructions in the attached document.
Re-Create the client shortcuts:
Go to the 'Software' folder you created and installed the software into earlier.
Create a shortcut to PICS.exe in this folder. This is the shortcut that the client PCs will need on their desktops.
You can now logon, but when you try to access the data you will be asked for a licence. Please enter:
[PLEASE EMAIL PELLCOMP FOR YOUR LICENCE INFO]
The last thing to do is update the software to make sure it is fully up to date.
To do this follow the instructions below:
- Make sure everyone is out of PICS.
- Get to the Login Screen.
- Go to the ‘Tools’ Menu item, then ‘Software Updates’.
- Enter your usual username and password, when prompted. This is actually a password permission to be able to run Software Updates so it may be needed to be added to your user in Password maintenance, by the PICS supervisor.
- You should get another window pop up and the PICS login screen close. In this new window click on ‘Next’.
- This should then check the versions available and give you a list of the parts of PICS that need updating, click ‘Next’ again.
- This will run through downloading the different files. After it done click on ‘Next’ again.
- Click ‘Next’ on the next screen, which talks about Local Network Updates.
- This will then go through installing the updates and will display the message ‘Updates installed, press OK to return to PICS’. Click ‘OK’.
- Log into PICS as normal.